When you’re new to the wonderful world of skincare, it can be a bit daunting. Seeing all these products, different skincare routines and estheticians online telling you what you should and should not use, no surprise a lot of people are left super confused. Here at The Glow Pot we like to help as much as we can, so we’ve put together two lists comparing a simple yet effective 3 step skincare routine and the more advanced 7 step skincare routine.
3 step routine - ideal for beginners
- One of the most important parts of any skincare routine is also the very first step: cleansing. Cleansing properly and with the right products sets the tone for your day and/or night. It’s important to cleanse thoroughly to create a nice clean base for any products that follow. We recommend our Soothing Cucumber Cleanser as it gently cleanses your skin, leaving it smooth and soft.
- Exfoliation is something a lot of people don’t realise that they do more than they probably need to. Using a facial glove, using cleansers with microbeads and layering acids on your face all count as exfoliating. While this step is useful and important for your weekly, sometimes monthly routine, be sure not to overdo it. We recommend our Azelaic Acid or our Instant Glow 2 in 1 Acai Scrub as they are natural exfoliants that help to reduce hyperpigmentation, acne and refine pores.
- If you’re following a more simplistic routine, after you cleanse you should go right in with your moisturiser. Moisturisers work to keep the skin hydrated and lock in all the goodness. In the AM, it’s better to use one with a lighter consistency to avoid clogged pores or getting extra oily during the day. We recommend our ACE Moisturiser as it has vitamins A,C and E which works as a great anti-ageing combo and leaves you with supple skin for the day ahead.
Bonus step: Always finish off your daytime skincare routine with SPF; it protects you from UV rays, keeps your skin looking youthful and plump.
7 step routine - ideal for the advanced
- For the more advanced, cleansing during your night time routine is equally as important as in the day time. This is the time to cleanse and wash off all the dirt, sweat and germs from the day as well as wash off your morning SPF. Many people use this time to double cleanse and go in with an oil based cleanser then follow it up with something a little more hydrating.
- Toner is a product some people believe isn’t completely necessary. Depending on where you sit in this debate. Toners work to rebalance and reset the PH levels in your skin after cleansing. Certain toners have a lot of other beneficial properties like fading dark marks or helping with anti ageing.
- Essence is something that is fairly new to western skincare. It’s all the rage in the Eastern market as it's super useful when it comes to hydration and works as a good foundation for all the other products you layer on top.
- Serums are products that come in all different shapes and sizes, but it's always good to do your research first before venturing into it. Serums are great for targeting specific skincare concerns and introducing acids into your routine.
- Eye cream
- There’s a long standing conspiracy that eye creams aren’t necessary if you already have a moisturiser. However, a good eye cream works to target dark circles, puffiness and wrinkles. We recommend Glow Age Eye Cream, it helps to reduce the look of dark circles and wrinkles.
- During your night time routine, you can get away with using slightly thicker creams to hydrate your skin. Remember to take your cream down to your neck as that often gets forgotten moisturising.
- Night oil
- Night oils are the secret weapon in making sure all the products you layered onto your skin work well. While oils on their own won’t hydrate your skin as much as an essence or night cream will, it works to lock in all the goodness from the products before it.